Friday, February 15, 2013

cancer sucks

Really, though.  It really does.

Last week we found out that my grandma's cancer has returned (she had breast cancer 13 yrs ago and colon cancer 5 years ago) and spread throughout her body.  It's in her brain, lungs, liver, lymph nodes, etc.  It's not curable, just treatable, with hope to extend her life and make her comfortable.  

This came as sudden, shocking news to our family.  She has been the healthy one who has been taking care of my grandpa, so it really doesn't seem fair.  She has such a strong desire to live and see more of her grand babies and great grand babies, and travel, and experience life.  She told me that she was planning on taking care of my grandpa, and then he would probably pass away first, and then she would go travel the world with her sister. ;) 

My parents and my sister and I flew down to CA to see her last weekend when she was in the hospital.  It was hard to be there when she found out that it was cancer again - I saw the bright cheery hope fade a little from her eyes - but it was good to be there, and to get to spend some time with both of my grandparents and our family.  Luckily she will be able to be at home with mostly out-patient treatments of chemo and radiation.  

So I guess moral of the story for now is cancer sucks.  And cherish your loved ones.  Tell them you love them often and enjoy every moment that life gives us!  Because what else can we do?




7 comments:

  1. i'm so sorry mel. i hope you're doing ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your dear grandma! That is quite unfair and disheartening. I really hope she's able to find a comfortable stage and may be able to still travel at least one more time! :) I'm happy you were able to fly out and visit her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mel, I'm so sorry about your grandma. There are so many words I would use to describe cancer, but nothing is quite as perfect as it sucks. I'm glad you were all able to be there with your sweet grams though, I'm sure that meant a lot to her! We'll be thinking of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to read this. I'll keep your grandma and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not fun news to get, my heart and soul go out to you and your family melanie. we love you! if you need anything, you have many friends around that would love to do whatever we can! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry Mel. I hope you are all doing ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh Melanie! Cancer sucks so much. I'm so sorry. I'm glad you were able to go to California to see her, that is really nice you all went.

    ReplyDelete