Monday, February 10, 2014

that one time we made a headboard

I have been wanting to make a reupholstered headboard for a looong time and it finally happened last month!  Dustin wasn't too thrilled at first - he was anti-headboard because he hates how they typically bang the wall any time you get in bed or move in bed.  I somehow convinced him to help me make it anyway, and now he loves it just as much as I do!  And it does not bang the wall at all.  :)  Success. 

It cost us less than $100 and only took a day to complete!  Actually less than a day since we just worked on it off and on between other things we had going on that day.  My kind of DIY project. 
  

Sooo we have a king size bed and therefore had to buy a pretty decent sized piece of plywood - never occurred to us that it might not fit in my car!  It barely fit as you can see when we took off the headrests.  Still, Dustin (who is always really concerned about safety) was not going to let us drive on the freeway to get it back to our home in Salt Lake.  He told me that if we were rear-ended our heads would be chopped off by the plywood.  :$  So we took it over to my parents' and my brother brought it up to us in their truck the next morning.   

Dustin screwing the plywood into the 2x4 frame.

Ready for batting!  Dustin didn't believe me when I told him batting was a real word haha.  The next step (stapling the batting and fabric to the wood) gave us the most grief.  The staple gun was not the best and we pulled out a bajillion crooked staples and became a bit frustrated with the gun and each other before we realized that we could just hammer the crooked ones in and then they would go down flat and be just fine.  

Upholstered and ready for some decorative trim! 

Hammering in the nail head trim.  With this stuff you only have to nail in every 5th one so it is pretty foolproof!



Finished product.

Please excuse the terrible lighting, and weird cream-colored cinder block walls but I am so happy with how it turned out!  















2 comments:

  1. You have inspired me!!! Headboards are so expensive and I've always wanted an upholstered one! Yours looks gorgeous. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute Mel! I may just use your tutorial :)

    And that's so funny about Dustin not believing that batting was a real word. One time I needed modge podge and David didn't believe me that it was a real word

    ReplyDelete